Our code of conduct is inspired by the common standards and language set for summer schools and scientific meetings worldwide.
We follow, in particular, the guidelines established for the Gordon Research Conferences, the Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, Cosyne, and NeurIPS.
Our code of conduct has been adapted from:
Other online resources: http://changingourcampus.org/
All participants, volunteers, organisers, reviewers, speakers, sponsors, and volunteers of the Imbizo (referred to as “participants” collectively from here on) must abide by the following Code of Conduct for the entirety of their involvement with the Imbizo, and on official communication channels, including social media.
Our sponsors are equally subject to this Code of Conduct. In particular, we expect our sponsors to not use images, activities, or other materials that are of a sexual, racial, or otherwise offensive nature. This code applies both to official sponsors as well as any organisation that uses or mentions the Conference name.
At Imbizo, we strive for an open and honest intellectual environment with a welcoming and fully inclusive atmosphere. This requires a community and an environment that recognizes and respects the inherent worth of every person.
The Imbizo commits itself to providing an experience for all participants that is free from:
- Scientific misconduct, such as fabrication, falsification, or plagiarism of papers, code, research presentation or scientific figures.
- Harassment, bullying, discrimination such as offensive comments related to age, race, religion, creed, color, gender (including transgender/gender identity), sexual orientation, medical condition, physical or intellectual disability, pregnancy, or medical conditions, national origin or ancestry.
- Inappropriate or unprofessional behaviour that interferes with another’s full participation including
- Intimidation, personal attacks, harassment, unnecessary disruption of talks or other Imbizo events.
- Sexual harassment, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, inappropriate physical contact, unwelcome attention, public vulgar exchanges, derogatory name-calling, and diminutive characterizations.
- Use of images, activities, or other materials that are of a sexual, racial, or otherwise offensive nature that may create an inappropriate or toxic environment.
- Disorderly, boisterous, or disruptive conduct including fighting, coercion, theft, damage to property, or any mistreatment or non-businesslike behaviour towards other participants.
- “Zoom bombing” or any virtual activity that is not related to the topic of discussion which detracts from the topic or the purpose of the program. This includes inappropriate remarks in chat areas.
Our Code of Conduct applies to the actual meeting sites and Imbizo venues where interactions are being conducted, including physical venues, online venues, and official virtual engagement platforms, including video, virtual streaming, and chat-based interactions. Any issues brought to the attention of the Organisers will be taken seriously, and the organisers reserve the right to reprimand or even exclude any participant for breach of this code of conduct.
The Imbizo will not actively monitor social media platforms but will follow up on issues of harassment and violations of the code of conduct that occur on those platforms that are specifically related to the Imbizo program, during the course of Imbizo, if and when they are brought to our attention.
The Imbizo encourages all participants to immediately report any incidents of discrimination, harassment, unprofessional conduct, and/or retaliation so that complaints can be quickly and fairly resolved. There will be no retaliation against any participant who brings a complaint or submits an incident report in good faith or who honestly assists in investigating such a complaint.
Any concerns can be directed to the Imbizo Organisers email email@example.com
Any complaints brought to the attention of the Organisers will be taken seriously, and investigated. The organisers reserve the right to reprimand or even exclude any participant for breach of this code of conduct at short notice. No monetary refunds will be made for any resulting damage of the expelled participant. Substitute accommodation will not be provided. There will be no retaliation against any Participant who brings a complaint or submits an incident report in good faith or who honestly assists in investigating such a complaint.
The organisers are within their rights to forward any serious breaches of this code of conduct that may have legal consequences to the local authorities or law enforcement.